Definition: a Televised Newspaper (JT) is a sequence of information broadcast by a television channel, hosted by a presenter or commented in voiceover. It is usually broadcast live.
The presenter introduces reports or sequences on international, national or local subjects and recurring chronicles such as the weather or a question linked to a social fact (key figure, consumption, employment, etc.). This information comes from journalists and editorial correspondents in France and internationally. This information may also come from international news agencies, such as AFP or Reuters, which provide the media with illustrative images of current affairs around the world.
In France, the first French television news program was broadcast at 21 p.m. on June 29, 1949, with live commentary from Pierre Sabbagh. At that time, the journalist was invisible on the screen, like the spoken word. Since then, the newscast has established its popularity among the general public. One of the sources of information for the French is the television news (the one at 13 p.m. but especially the one at 20 p.m.) on the TF1 and France 2 channels. In addition to these major editions are other daily editions on the canalplus channels or even France 3. These daily editions face permanent competition from continuous news channels such as France Info, LCI, Cnews, BTM TV, etc.
News broadcast, the television news requires rigorous preparation. Each edition is the product of the contribution of a team of journalists constituting an editorial staff. In principle, the television news is prepared by an editorial conference, editorial meeting. The editorial conference is a meeting of all the journalists and technicians involved in the production of the television news. The editorial conference usually consists of six stages:
- Review of the previous newspaper : this first step includes the criticism of the previous newscast. The aim is to avoid repeating the mistakes made in the previous log. The criticism relates to substance and form.
- List of available information : it is a question of enumerating the facts and the news which could be the subject of a quotation or a report in the following televised news.
- Selection of information according to editorial criteria : at this stage, journalists choose from a multitude of available subjects those which will be the subject of the preparation of the content of the newspaper in preparation.
- Distribution of topics to be covered and their timing: this step consists in carrying out a certain number of operations: distribution of the subjects to the journalists, definition of the angles of treatment of the information, determination of the duration of each report, technique to be used in the diffusion as well as the order of passage of the information to the antenna.
- Definition of pre-conductor: the pre-conductor is a provisional document drawn up during the first editorial conference and containing a list of topics to be disseminated.
- Driver finalization: the conductor is a definitive technical document. It contains the list of subjects as well as precise indications on the technical means to be implemented in their diffusion during the television news.